O desafio para toda uma civilização

Combater o terrorismo sem provocar o terror. Ou melhor, sem provocar mais terror. Se é por aqui que vamos as coisas não vão acabar bem. Atente-se neste depoimento...

"[E]arly last year, when one afternoon I went to the bank, and 10 armed policemen bundled me into an unmarked van on suspicion of being an al-Qaida terrorist. I ended up in Belmarsh for five months without any charge being brought against me, petrified that I would be deported to Guantánamo Bay.
(...)
I was sent to Belmarsh, locked up for 23 hours a day. Whenever we left the cells, there were fights. One Tunisian inmate dressed like a devout Muslim. Prisoners would often pull his beard or take his religious hat off and play "catch" with it. After five months I was told that I could leave prison and go to a detention centre, where I have spent the past nine months.
Recently my solicitor visited me and told me that the police investigation into me had finished and that they were satisfied that I was not a terrorist. They never had any evidence against me whatsoever. It was bizarre. I have been able to write to my mother and tell her not to worry and that I love her. I call her sometimes but I end up crying because she is crying. Many of us have left prison but are still held in detention centres for months while the authorities decide what to do with us. The one thing that keeps me cheerful in here is sport. Algerians are very passionate about football.
(...)
I love the freedom of England: that's what I came here for. All I needed was the chance to make a bit of money towards a house; the minimum things that any man would want. I was totally exhilarated when I first came here. Now I'm too tired to struggle any more. To be locked up for something you never even have a chance to deny makes you despair. All my dreams are broken.

Texto integral aqui.
.

Publicado por irreflexoes 08:54:00  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment